Development in the fourteenth month - 第十四個月的發展
Here is a recount of my development and a few "firsts" this month:
1) Health - I got sick for the first time in my life! It started with a few sneezes, which turned into a runny nose and then a fever. I couldn't sleep at night and whenever I fell asleep, I would be woken up by a cough. My parents were up every couple of hours to take care of me. Sometimes I was so irritated that the only thing that would calm me down was the TV. Because of the lack of rest, Mommy fell sick also. Thank God that Daddy was fine so that he could take care of both of us. I hope my body will be stronger after this.
2) Teething - To make matters worse, I cut my first tooth when I was sick. I was miserable and mightily irritated. Mommy tried giving me the teething ring but I didn't like it too much. Thank God that it didn't last more than a few days.
3) Weaning - I was weaned at the beginning of this month. Mommy thought she'd miss it but it was more than compensated by her freedom to eat whatever she wanted. For me, it was not bad at all because I was young enough to be flexible about it. I started to drink more soy milk now but it is still sporadic. Some days I drink more than a cup, some days I don't touch it at all. But I still like soy yogurt, which has helped keep my calcium intake.
4) Language / communication -
(i) I learnt to nod for yes. But sometimes it does not mean anything because I would change my mind quickly! For example, before Mommy puts me down to bed, she would ask me whether I want to sleep, I would nod for yes, but when she actually puts me down, I would cry sometimes because I don't want to be left alone!
(ii) I learnt to sign for help to open something / read a book / ask how something works. The sign looks the same if you don't know me well, but I can communicate what I want to my parents. Other signs I use - open palms up for "nothing", put one hand against the other for "more", blow kisses, etc.
(iii) I learnt to say more words or say some old words more clearly - Daddy, Mommy, Elmo, apple, bye-bye, no, chee (for cheerios), che-che (car in Cantonese).
(iv) I learnt to distinguish different animals and make appropriate sounds - lion (say wow), rabbit (jump), mouse (open and close hands against mouth and make "jip jip" sound), kangaroo (jump), butterfly (jump, I actually meant fly, but I don't know how to fly with my hands stretched yet).
(v) I learnt different body parts - bellybutton, nose, ears, eyes, mouth, head, toes . I can point to them when asked.
(vi) I love to follow song actions. My favorites are "Twinkle twinkle little star", "The wheels on the bus", and "Head and shoulders".
And many more cyber language that is yet to be deciphered! It makes even more fun to play with me now!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home